Although I haven’t been posting much about weaving, I’ve been having fun painting (blogged here). Lately, I’ve wondered how the two worlds may connect–Moorman?
I took 12 of my jumbo potholders and stitched them together into this rug, which I’m currently using as a bathmat. Strangely, I haven’t had enough of potholders. I’m right on the edge of plunging in and buying 10 pounds of loopers!
More from the jumbo potholder loom:
Stripes, checkerboards, plaids…
Fun to look at, easy to make, the simplest weaving offers endless variety.
I bought a 10″ potholder loom kit and some additional loopers. The loops are cotton and appear to be remnants from socks. The loom is simple but sturdy. It’s all from Homestead Weaver, and I love it.
I’ll have a giant stack of potholders when all is said and done, or perhaps I’ll stitch them together and make a rug.
Either way, I’m having so much fun weaving.
I’ve been spending some time lately on this simple koi design, which I’m punching directly onto a canvas bag:
I finished this rug quite awhile ago. It’s so cushy it’s unbelievable:
I couldn’t decide how to finish the edges. Eventually, I stitched a seam to stop fraying, trimmed it, and then I rolled up the edges (about 1.5″) and used a thick wool to bind it with a whip stitch using yarn:
I started this large (for me) rug of a running horse over the weekend, and it’s moving along very quickly (ha!). The horse design is a tracing of a metal decoration we keep hanging on a wall in the house. This measures 20″ x 20″, and I’ll eventually get around to posting a picture of my homemade frame made of canvas stretcher bars and carpet tacking strips. The backing material is linen, very smooth and easy to punch. The yarn is wool.
And because it’s interesting to view the back, here you go:
And tucked inside, two eBay finds: a Rumpelstiltskin manual Speed Needle and Gloria Crouse’s Hooking Rugs.
I finished these two potholders and added an inkle strap on each. They’re lined with an insulated batting, and the backs are dark green cotton. These are my first potholders, and I now know I have a lot to learn about sewing.
I really enjoy these smaller projects with slightly thicker yarn. Here are four wool pot holders that are finished except for the finishing.
He’s a fairly imposing owl:
I’m using acrylic yarn I found second-hand. It’s made just for needle punching:
Here’s the back with all the detail that may or may not make it into the final project:
At least, I think it’ll be a pot holder. This is wool on a cotton background.
This was another super-fast embroidery project using the needlepunch. I can say that buying a new hoop, a plastic one with an inside lip around it, has made all the difference. The cloth stays in place, and as a result, I cruised with this little knight. The border is a Greek meander pattern. I found ideas online and in books and then drew them on the back of the cloth.
I need to investigate different ways of finishing these up.
Finished except for the finishing.