This project sat around for about two years, until I put in the final effort to finish the punching, hemming, and backing. Rather groovy design.
I finished the vintage Hokusai bunka kit today. The ocean horizon line is crooked because it was still tacked in the frame when I took the picture. This type of embroidery may be a little dated, but I liked it so much I’ve been bidding on bunka yarn to try an original design.
It’s probably more than halfway done but I know the details will take a long time, so it will be awhile before my vintage bunka kit is finished. I’ve surprised myself by being patient with this.
I started this large (for me) rug of a running horse over the weekend, and it’s moving along very quickly (ha!). The horse design is a tracing of a metal decoration we keep hanging on a wall in the house. This measures 20″ x 20″, and I’ll eventually get around to posting a picture of my homemade frame made of canvas stretcher bars and carpet tacking strips. The backing material is linen, very smooth and easy to punch. The yarn is wool.
And because it’s interesting to view the back, here you go: