I've been working on this for a month, and today is an auspicious day. Yes, it's the solstice, but it's also the day I finish my triloom blanket! Here is the second tri on the loom, just after finishing the weaving. I used up most of my 2 ply worsted weight wool from a second hand store. I had woven my first triloom shawl with some of it, and I'll miss it when it's gone.
It doesn't look like much at this point, I admit.
Two 7' triangles, crocheted rather heavily together. It measures about 57" on each end. There are gaps, areas woven too tightly, untrimmed yarn, etc. What I'm hoping for is the miracle of a washing machine fulling, where everything fills in, pulls together, and looks right. It would be the solstice miracle!
This is my favorite day of the year, and today is a beautiful day: clear and bright and sunny and cold. Our "blizzard" only dropped about 5" of snow, but I was home yesterday because work was closed, and it gave me just enough time to finish the weaving. So, keep your fingers crossed!
A 7′ triloom experiment with Berocco bulky (colors were dark gray, lilac, and beige) and a twill pattern bombed. Ugly describes it. Oh, well… onward and upward. The yarn was saved by careful frogging and it’ll be used for something else someday.
I’m really pleased with this little shawl, woven at the 5′ setting of my triloom on the bias. I felted it lightly, and the basket weave looks pretty.
At the largest setting, 7′, the Dewberry Ridge Triloom fits in my work space (just barely).
Better pictures to follow, I promise. (What can I say that? My little iPod, with the blurry camera, is being upgraded, and the new camera is the same as the iPad, which means I can stop apologizing for my blurry, dark, and pretty much terrible pictures. Yes, I have a regular camera… but the iPod is so darn convenient.)
So, I came home yesterday to find my beautiful new Dewberry Ridge modular triloom on my doorstep. When I opened the box, I was pleased to see how secure everything had been sealed up. The wood is just lovely, and the whole loom is sturdy and something I’ll use forever. Gary McFarland, the loom maker, had also included some basic weaving instructions and a guide to assemble the different loom sizes. The pieces attach together with a bolt with a tiny gear on the top. You set the bolt into a notch and it pulls together two pieces, and then you use a hex wrench to tighten them together. Clever!
My husband dared me to have the loom unwarpped and assembled in 15 minutes (he set a timer), and I didn’t even have to rush. I not only had all the individual pieces lined up on the table and the loom assembled into the smallest size (3′), but I also pulled out my easel, set it up, and had the loom ready for weaving with a few minutes to spare.
But I couldn’t leave it at 3′ knowing I had all those extra feet available, so I surveyed my yarn stash, checked a yardage chart for how much yarn I’d need for different sizes, and changed the loom to the 5′ size. I chose some really beautiful homespun wool I found at a thrift store–1,500 yards worth! I also chose to weave a continuous bias pattern. I’m planning on felting the tri when I’m done with it… I am still undecided what it should be, but I’m leaning toward a little shawl with some buttons on the front.